The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-21 12:02:59

l3u

Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

Hi all :-)

I wanted to try to run Devuan on a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. From what's listed in https://arm-files.devuan.org/README.txt, I couldn't really figure out what image to use, and I also didn't find anything about Devuan and this model. After some trial and error, I decided to create an image using the Raspberry Pi Imager to see if it would boot at all (the specs say this thing had a 64 bit processor, but neither the Raspberry Pi 1, nor the more recent arm64 images, nor the "0" image would work). For the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, it suggests to use the legacy 2024-03-12-raspios-bullseye-armhf image. The SD card flashed with it did work and it did boot.

So I looked for an "armhf" image. There's only one: devuan_chimaera_4.0.0_armhf_rpi2.img (why are those images packed with zip btw and not with something more effective?!).

I dd'ed the image to my SD card and took all the dtb files from the "Raspberry Pi OS" image's boot partition, including bcm2710-rpi-zero-2-w.dtb, and put it in it's boot partition.

The image then worked and I could boot Devuan. Also, I could configure the WLAN through /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf – worked out of the box.

So, after all, I simply wanted to share this. Maybe I simply didn't find the official Devuan image for the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. If there's actually none, maybe somebody wants to add one, or instructions how to get it running. However, Devuan works fine on this board :-)

Cheers, Tobias

Last edited by l3u (2024-04-21 12:07:47)

#2 2024-04-26 20:55:05

vortex

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W

Thanks for sharing this Tobias.

It looks like the README file has reverted to an old copy.

I'll revert and update it with RPi Zero 2 info when I can.

You can find nightly builds of Devuan Pi for chimaera & daedalus at
https://arm-files.devuan.org/RaspberryP … %20Builds/
where the armhf builds also support RPi Zero 2s.

ZIP files because most RPi users expect and some image flashers only support ZIP compression.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Board footer